Birthdate: 8-19-43; Joplin, Missouri
Family: Wife, Pat. Four children.
Residence: Huntington Beach, California
Top Career Moments:
- Won the 2006 Go Man Go with Be A Bono
- Won the 2005 Golden State Derby with Diller A Dollar
- Won the 2005 Sgt. Pepper Feature with Diller A Dollar
- Won the 2005 Spencer Childers Champ with Be A Bono
- Won the 2006 Spencer Childers Champ with Be A Bono
- Won the 2005 Vessels Maturity with Be A Bono
- Won the 2006 Vessels Maturity with Be A Bono
- Conditioned World Champion Be A Bono to wins in the Spencer Childers California Breeders Championship Handicap, Los Alamitos Winter Derby, Los Alamitos Super Derby in 2004. Be A Bono also finished second by a nose in the Champion of Champions in '04.
- Won the Golden State Futurity with Be A Bono in 2003.
- Won the Governor's Cup Derby and Dash For Speed Handicap with Last Shall Be First in 2002.
- Won the California Sires Cup Derby with Chicks First Policy in 2000.
- Won the Pat Hyland, Griswold and Travelin Show handicaps with No Pet Peeves in 2000.
- Won the Southern California Derby with Strawflyin Buds in 1999.
- Won the Mildred Vessels Memorial Handicap with Champion Fabulous Form in 1998.
- Won the California Sires Cup Futurity and with Strawflyin Buds in 1997, and the Southern California Derby with the same horse in 1998.
- Won the Governor's Cup Derby with Griswold in 1989.
- Won the Champion Of Champions with Don Guerro in 1974.
Career Profile: One of 16 trainers to have won the prestigious Champion of Champions, Dan Francisco had the pleasure of training the sport's World Champion in 2004- Be A Bono. That horse is one of the biggest characters that I've ever train, he said. He's also one of the most talented horses that I have ever been around. In 1974 Dan Francisco trained Don Guerro to win the third-ever running of the Champion of Champions. Francisco has a history of saddling quality 3-year-olds, but Be A Bono's win in the Los Alamitos Super Derby was Francisco's first-ever victory in the 51-year-old race. "I've been trying to win this race for more than 30 years, so it was nice to finally get it," he said.
In 2003 Francisco became one of 13 trainers to saddle 500 quarter horse winners at Los Alamitos Race Course. Francisco retired briefly from training to work as an electrician for about three years in the early 1990s but has since reestablished himself as a leading trainer at Los Alamitos. Since his return to training, he has formed powerful partnerships with owners like Martha Mimi Wells and Spencer Childers. One of his most memorable moment is not a stakes win, though. Instead, it's Griswold's heart-breaking loss to Thoroughbred archrival Valiant Pete in their famous match race at Santa Anita in 1991. Dan saddled the legendary Griswold to his richest victory at Los Alamitos. Ironically, it did not come in an 870-yard race but in the $220,000 Governor's Cup Derby at 400 yards.